About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, September 9, 2012

What's in the Suitcase?

I spent yesterday making my final decisions for the Sicily travel wardrobe. I tried everything on, on Friday, photographed the outfits, removed a few items, added one, then packed them all in my suitcase. They fit with room to spare! I take a 25" wheeled suitcase, which I check in, and I carry on a medium size tote. No purses on my trips.

Here is the final storyboard:


I added back in the black twill ankle pants...the Eileen Fisher slim knit pants are quite dressy, and the microfiber pants are fairly wide. I normally don't take white items, but this trip promises to be a little more "civilized" than usual, we are staying in just a few good quality hotels with laundry facilities, and I have armed myself with a Tide-to-go and a bleach pen!

Some outfit pictures:



























These items are all RTW from my daily wardrobe.
Since quite a few people have asked how I determine what my travel wardrobe will consist of, here are a few determining factors:

1. I wear on a trip what I wear at home. No clothes set aside for travel only.
2. I tend to "dress up" slightly; when I began traveling in India in the '90s, I found the best way to
   connect with the women (which is a huge reason why I went 7 times!) was to wear pretty clothes
   and jewelry. You don't need to speak each others' language to express admiration for color and style.
3. I don't take expensive jewelry or clothing; Chico's from eBay things work just fine! and I take scarves for color...
4. I usually wear black and white (you noticed?) with another color...lately red, in the past, a burgundy
   or plum.
5. I rarely wear anything that is heavy or stiff; the soft cotton, rayon or silk items pack easily and don't
   weigh very much.
6. I wear my passport, credit card and currency around my neck, under my clothes, in a lightweight silk
    neck pouch. I keep a small wallet in my tote for small amounts of currency. Nothing that would be
   devastating to lose.
7. I wash out undies in the shower. I usually take 2 bras, 4-6 pair of panties.

These are the items I've made, which you probably have seen on my blog already...





My jackets and vest have lots of pockets, inside and out, some sized to fit specific
things, like boarding passes, passport (when I have to have it ready
to show), lipstick, sunglasses, etc. 




I often wear a lightweight shirt over a tank top or shell; I find it's cooler and I spare the world the sight of my upper arms!


















Just the shirt is going...linen doesn't pack too well, IMHO...rayon, cotton and silk, on the other hand, 
hang out nicely, sometimes with help from the shower steam.

The shoes that made the cut...they're all pretty light weight, rigorously tested for comfort, and go with all the clothes. The red ECCO's on the left are what I wear every day to walk my 4 miles.
The scarves, including a black pashmina that I take on the plane in case it's too cold.

And my bracelets (not ALL!) which are lightweight and don't set off the airport alarms...

This is what I'm wearing on the flight to Rome:
The pants (RTW) are knit ponte, the tee (also RTW) is silk knit, and I will put the jacket in the compartment above for the flight. I intend to be comfortable for 9+ hours!

If this looks too match-matchy for your taste, it could have been worse...I could have taken this tote
and this purse

I'll be starting up my travel blog, Where in the World Are We?, in the next few days...come along for the trip!


52 comments:

  1. Great sense of cohesion to your wardrobe. Love every piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your travel wardrobe looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about why and how you pack for travel. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've pared your wardrobe down nicely. I'm amazed at how much you can fit in your suitcase. Thanks for the travel tips. I'm looking forward to reading your travel blog. Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I just love seeing coordinating wardrobes like this. You did an amazing job. Hope you have as much fun on your trip as you MUST have had getting this together.

    When you get back you should enter a subset in the Pattern Review mini-wardrobe contest! I just finished my first garment for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peg...can you tell that wardrobe planning is my FAVORITE part of traveling?

      Delete
  5. Wow, You have this travel lark down to a fine art. I'm looking forward to joining you on your travels.....albeit in spirit only. I've never been to Sicily! Have a fun and safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elegant, coordinated, and comfy looking - looks perfect!

    The only thing missing is me, but since I wrinkle easily, I might not make the cut.... ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then she should take me! Take me! I hang out well in the shower.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Jilly...you are so FUNNY! I wrinkle easily, too...

      Delete
  7. Perfect! I think traveling with a specific palette makes all the difference for short trips. I travel for 2-3 months at a time, year round, all around Asia and this plan still serves well. Love all your pieces--bella! Enjoy a gelato for me ;

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and admire your style. You make lovely garments and I appreciate your sharing. It gives me hope that I can one day make such flattering things. What a beautiful lady you are and I pray you have safe travels and a fantabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful wardrobe! Have a wonderful trip--I'm sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've designed an awesome wardrobe for the trip! Enjoy and have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing - it is really interesting to see how people coordinate their clothes and accessories, particularly for a trip. I look forward to following your travel blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your well thought out wardrobe! Have a wonderful time - I'm going to use your great packing/coordinating ideas for my next trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. very elegant and coordinated as the others have said. Have a fab trip and lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything look so chic and beautifully co-ordinated. I just love your style! I couldn't agree more about "dressing up stylish" on holidays; you feel good about yourself and the holiday photos look so much better too ;)
    I hope you have a sensational trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carolyn...I'm going to copy you and do a "what worked and what didn't" post when I get back...great idea!

      Delete
  15. Fabulous, Margy! I covet all of it, but mostly, I covet your taste and style. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm old enough to remember when we would always dress-up to fly. I still do, just a little more casually-stylish. I think it makes a difference on how you are treated by the flight's staff. You've certainly got the perfect casual/stylish travel-wardrobe down to a science. Now just enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great travel wardrobe and love the tip for connecting with other women. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You ROCK! I am so glad to get to "meet" you through Marcy's blog. Your sense of style, your packing sense and your beautiful look---- well, I want to stick around for the ride to be sure! Have a magnificent trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super! You are going to have a wonderful trip. Thanks for including THE SHOES with the rest of the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Being Margy's daughter has its perks to be sure....especially when it comes to shoe and wardrobe hand-me-downs! (thankfully I wear the same shoe size!)

    Love the wardrobe, Mama. I know you'll have an amazing time!
    Coco

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love reading of your sewing projects and the thought behind them. Your travel wardrobe is perfect! Have a wonderful trip and I will look forward to reading about it on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your packing knowledge!
    I'm all thumbs when it comes to packing!
    You've given me some keen insight!
    Bon Voyage!!
    Wishing you a safe and most wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for posting everything down to shoes and bracelets!!! I am might impressed! You are my heroine! Sigh, 4 pairs of shoes. . .

    Buen viaje!!

    Luz Clara

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this post, and the Sicilian ladies will love your style as much as we do. Have a wonderful trip!
    Anne K

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a great trip! It sounds really fun and I can't wait to see pictures. You have inspired me to sew with a plan and work on coordinating more with what I own. Typing that, it seems like the most obvious thing on the planet, but I usually find some random gorgeous fabric on sale, make something, and THEN hope it matches something I own. Time for a new strategy!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Classy! I would have taken that tote it goes awesome with most everything! Thanks for the packing lesson! Now I am wishing I would have started from the end and worked forward..... :)

    ReplyDelete