About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, April 23, 2017

THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF SLOW SEWING!

After too many years to count of speedy sewing, trying to get things done quickly, I have become enamored of slow sewing. Why? For one thing, I don't really need many clothes...I have so much and lead a fairly quiet life (Clothes-wise). For another, I have come to appreciate the steps in the process of making something, which includes A LOT of hand sewing, basting, and experiencing the magical process of MAKING.  And for a third thing, I am able to listen to audible books, music, podcasts for some of the time I'm sewing. When I get to a hard part, I turn off the sound and concentrate on what my hands are doing.

So, as I mentioned, I have been working on another Koos van den Akker
pattern, V1493, a kimono-styled jacket with "tulip-banded sleeves".




I made it in an "embossed velvet knit" in two shades of gunmetal gray from Emma One Sock, trimmed with (LOTS OF) bias binding in a stretch taffeta in metallic gray. This jacket used even more bias binding than my previous one, and was very labor-intensive.


Laying out the criss-crossing bias tape on the sleeve band.


After attaching the sleeve band. I probably spent more than 2 weeks on this, but I am very happy with the end result; I wore it out to dinner the other night and received many compliments.


After that was finished, I moved on to a vest to add to my travel wardrobe for our upcoming trip to London and Scotland.


I'm sure you recognize my TNT vest pattern, V1453; the fabric is a very interesting Black and Red Abstract Embroidered Lacy Mesh which I got from
Mood Fabrics sometime last year. It is embroidered wool mesh on a nylon tuile
base.


When I got it, I knew the red wasn't right for my use, it was somewhat on the orange side. So, I overdyed it...SEVERAL TIMES, with different types of dye, until I got the red I wanted. All that hot water also shrunk the wool a little
so that it's not so see-through. I really like it!




I lined it in a red satin, so it should be warm for the all-spectrum weather we will have in Scotland.

We leave a week from today; we will fly to London and spend a few days visiting the new Tate Modern wing and have a dinner at NOPI. Then we'll take a train to Glasgow for 3 days. After that, we'll go by train to Inverness, whereupon we'll embark on a week-long small ship cruise on "The Lord of the Glens" to the "Heart of the Highlands". Neither Dave nor I have been to Scotland, so I'm really looking forward to it.

For those who have asked, this is what I've been reading/listening to in the last few weeks:

books  
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
Blacklight Blue by Peter May
Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves
Earthly Remains by Donna Leon
The Old Man by Thomas Perry

audible
Broken Harbor by Tana French
The Secret Place by Tana French
Celine by Peter Heller

music

C.P.E.Bach Symphonies and Cello Concerto
Leonard Cohen, Complete Studio Albums
Madredeus
Mariza

Podcasts-
On Being with Krista Tippett

We've been escaping the ongoing construction and termite work whenever we can...last week we took a picnic lunch to our old winery and vineyard (now Beckmen Vineyards) so I could check out some of the many roses I planted more than 35 years ago...


Those olive trees in the back are part of a gift for my 50th birthday from Dave...
50 olive trees!

Here's Dave with his well-loved and used tractor, which came with the raw land when we bought it in 1979!

My travel wardrobe will rely heavily on my past trips to Portugal and Paris... I have updated the pictures, which follow:




,


As I did during my Paris trip, I will not try to blog, but I will put some photos as we go on my Instagram account, here.  We'll be back the middle of May. This afternoon, I'm heading over to Visible Monday, where Patti is hosting our party!

TTYL

56 comments:

  1. Very classy!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both pieces are beautiful but I love, love, love the red vest! I hope you have a wonderful time on vacation and will look forward to your pictures on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn...I am so pleased at how the red vest turned out!

      Delete
  3. Love both these toppers, and you've crafted such beauty - the slower way! Have a wonderful trip and thanks for linking, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon voyage Margy, your travel outfits and new slow sewing projects are lovely. I'm a fan of slow sewing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work on the Koos coat is stunning. The bias binding makes this a very special piece. And your new vest is quite lovely too. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great new additions to the wardrobe! I'm off to England next week too (from Australia) but won't be going as far north as Scotland. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki...you have a great trip, too!

      Delete
  7. Like Both, but that red vest and what you did to get it the color, and then to have it shrink up...is PERFECT, better than when it arrived! Make sure to pack 1 pr. of long underwear, you'll need for Scotland...have a fabulous trip, love your blog. Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura...I despaired of ever getting that fabric "right", but as you said, it's better than when it arrived. My long underwear is already packed!

      Delete
  8. I love both of these toppers especially the Koos jacket. I have that pattern and you have inspired me to finally sew it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen...can't wait to see YOUR Koos kimono

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous clothes; you do credit to the beautiful fabrics you choose. Wasn't it tricky to apply non-stretch bands to stretchy knit? I would think the knit would want to pucker around the bands.

    Thanks for including a photo of Dave with his tractor. His joy is quite apparent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol...actually, the stretch taffeta was way more stretchy than the knit...and caused a few problems of its own. As beautiful as it is, I wouldn't use that fabric to make bias tape again! Glad you liked the photo of Tractor Man!

      Delete
    2. The Koos coat and new vest are both wonderful in different ways. The overdyeing you did on the vest really gave it a richness. The Koos coat simply brilliant. I love whipping out TNT tees and tunics but I agree a slow project can be painful but is so gratifying. Have a wonderful trip. I loved Scotland when I visited.

      Delete
  10. wow. I appreciate your reading lists - I often take suggestions from you. Listening to interesting things is a big part of my sewing, too.
    Everything you have made lately is AMAZING. carry on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin...I love it too when people post reading lists!

      Delete
  11. You always find the most unusual and beautiful fabrics. You have excellent taste. The silvery jacket is really stunning. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, your kimono jacket is simply gorgeous! I am also a fan of slow sewing, but never seem to have the time for it (or fast sewing, for that matter) these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your travel wardrobe! We're going to Ireland and Scotland for 2 wks end of September and I don't have a clue what to bring. I think I will use your travel wardrobe as my guide. Wonderful, fun blog....a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for On Being with Krista Tippett ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are both beautiful pieces. The Koos jacket in particular is a unique, timeless garment. And thank you for the book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look gorgeous! You are an inspiration--Thank you for being such a style genius!
    clothwear

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing your version of the Koos Kimono. I have the pattern...it floats to the top of my pile and then gets buried again, :)

    I do really want to sew, in part because I am also enjoying a slower sew these days.

    Scotland is high on my list of places to go! I look forward to seeing your photos!

    And thanks for a peek at the vineyard you used to own! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue...can't wait to see your version!

      Delete
  18. Ooo, dinner at NOPI - great choice! (and I love your red jacket!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Koos kimono jacket. Scotland is my favorite country on earth. Have a wonderful time and eat fish straight from the cold water on Island of Skye if you get there. Looking forward to your pics on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will be watching Instagram also to get a vicarious thrill. I just had to add my admiration for your spirit of adventure with the red fabric. The result is such an improvement in color and the body of the fabric and your vest is perfection. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane M...I'm a lot more adventurous than I used to be!

      Delete
  21. As always your wardrobe is beautiful. Love your red raincoat. What is the brand of your red purse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liana...the purse is by Highway bags.

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a nice gift 50 trees for your birthday. And the roses....its nice to see those

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm always intrigued by your makes. It looks like you've got a freak travel wardrobe going! I'm also a big audio book fan, especially while sewing. Hope you're having a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That new jacket is amazing. That banding!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Margy--sometimes I see fabrics I think you would love, and think of you. Have you looked at emmaonesock lately? I thought of you when I saw this: #61033 as well as #60053! I think it's wonderful that you have such a clearly defined style--something I aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The description "tulip sleeve" alone is divine. But what a piece. And your red vest is amazing. I love how you dyed the wool and hoped for this shrinkage to make the wool more accommodating to your needs. I am familiar with those MF tractors. Heh. And 50 olive trees? That's TRUE LOVE. What an amazing gift. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How are you? I hope all is well. I miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You haven't posted in so long I begin to worry about you. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am always in such awe of your gorgeous creations ... and even more about the beautiful lifestyle and love of experiences you embody! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Think of you every day as a dear friend. I hope you and your family are well and thriving. Please know you are missed!!

    ReplyDelete