About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, February 22, 2015

GEORGE WASHINGTON'S BIRTHDAY!

I grew up calling February 22 "George Birthington's Washday" and thinking it so funny...obviously, this was before "Presidents' Day".

I finally got to work in my studio and made a wonderful, lightweight coat. It might even be called a raincoat, except we never get any rain...

Both the pattern and the fabric for this coat came from Marcy Tilton...V8934 and

I've had my eye on this pattern since it came out, so when I found this yummy pewter crinkle, I knew the combo would be pleasing.





The pattern has darts at the bottom to bring the silhouette in a little. I'm very
happy with it...the weight is perfect for my kind of climate.




I added snaps to the front and used some buttons I had made some time ago for a different top...


and it goes perfectly with a pair of Aerosoles I've had and loved for a long time.




I'll bet you didn't know I belong to a Bean Club...Rancho Gordo's Bean Club, to be specific. They sell the most wonderful heritage beans, and I get a delicious assortment every three months. I made this bean dish last week and I think it's going to be a TNT recipe (tried and true, just like a pattern!)



The dish is called "Spicy Beans and Wilted Greens" and the recipe is from Epicurious, linked above. I had turned my friend Willie on to this source for beans and she sent me a Valentine in thanks...


She's so clever!

I am absolutely thrilled to have been chosen as "Star Blogger" for the newest issue of Vogue Pattern Magazine, April/May 2015. If you subscribe, it's on pages 12 and 13. If you don't, here's a glimpse of the column...




It's amazing what has happened to the world of sewing with the internet and blogs!

I am linking up again with Visible Monday on Patti's site, Not Dead Yet Style.
Come on over a little later today and admire all the visible women!

TTYL...

35 comments:

  1. Wow - another beautiful creation. I live vicariously through your style. I've tried but it just doesn't work for me. The coat is awesome - It looks great.
    Marcia from SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous coat - such interesting fabric, and a great original approach to the front closures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so thrilled to see you featured in Vogue Pattern Magazine! You are indeed a shining star!

    I think the concept of a 'Bean Club' is rather brilliant! As is the thank you card from your friend!

    And, your (non rain) raincoat is typical Margy fabulousness! If not in California, it will surely serve you well on your travels. Even if don't go far, there's always the Pacific Northwest. I love the snap/buttons. I'm just finishing a spring coat, and decided to have some fun with the closures too! That IS why we sew, after all, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool coat. Congratulations on getting featured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I opened my digital copy of VPM yesterday and cheered when I realized you were the Star Blogger for that issue! Congratulations! Love the new coat and the closings are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful coat, as usual. Gorgeous. I am looking forward to the next issue. Should be a wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So exciting! Talent will out! Your coat reminds me of when I was young and lived in New York and everything crinkled. xox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you have been recognized in such a deserving way! You create beautiful things and I always get excited when I see you have a new post up. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so fabulous to see you in VPM! It's a wonderful piece and well deserved!

    That coat is great! I love the button detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I love it so much when people are recognized for their talent, as you have been in the latest Vogue Pattern magazine. You are stunning in your array of outfits. Your new coat is fantastic. Apart from the fabric, I especially love the darts at the bottom for the cool shape and the button-back detailing. And then there's your shoes, my, my. Awesome. Plus, they look like they'd be comfy to wear. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who else would they pick for their feature Star Blogger? You are indeed a shing star for all of us who follow your blog. I love that crinkley yummy fabric, and the coat pattern is perfect for it. The closures are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Margy!!! A well deserved honor :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on being selected for the Vogue magazine! And that pewter coat you made is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A well deserved feature in Vogue Patterns. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great garment! I'm going to have to pick up the magazine so I can read your feature. It is a well deserved honour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You star! Red carpet clothes - all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, congratulations! Well deserved, your creations are inspiring, and you have the perfect elegance for Vogue... well done

    ReplyDelete
  18. Margy the Muse! Congratulations for being recognized as the bright star that you are. I love your version of Marcys coat.i just made it as well. I wish I had seen yours first I would have done things differently. Thanks for being you;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that's absolutely stunning! That fabric is extraordinary and so perfect for that design. Congratulations on the recognition too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the feature...it is much deserved. This jacket is gorgeous and looks just like a designer expensive one I recently saw in a dept. store...love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful coat. That is a well-deserved article in Vogue Patterns--your fabric and design choices for creations are always interesting and classically chic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on being featured! And another fab garment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. congratulations on being the Star Blogger, Margy! It is so well deserved.
    Love your new coat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your Star Blogger status! That's great. Love your coat. It's a perfect marriage of fabric and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your well deserved award. I've always considered you a "Star Blogger," and now it's official. Your jacket is elegant and you wear it with panache. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Margy! They were smart to choose you, people will love to read about you and your blog.
    Love the fabric choice for that coat, you'll get lots of use from this one!
    And I love Rancho Gordo beans, too. Joe and I have just gotten a new pressure cooker and boy do they make beans taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic coat! Love the coat. Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your coat is just fabulous! those grey metallic tones suit your colouring perfectly too. Congratulations for the feature in Vogue! I'm looking forward to when the magazine hits our racks over here to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore that coat! Great work! And, congratulation on the Vogue piece!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous coat, Margy! Congrats on the article!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love , love , love those sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the your feature in Vogue Patterns Magazine. I really love your look.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE the raincoat in the crinkle fabric. Congratulations on the recognition by Vogue Pattern; I think it is well-deserved. I really enjoy reading your blog and your fashion style.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've had my eye on that coat pattern, I do love Marcy Tilton's Miyake-inspired designs. Such stunning fabric you chose too, it looks really great. Congrats on the Vogue mag profile!

    ReplyDelete