About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, April 19, 2015

CHANGES...

This has been a period of changes in my life...I got an email last week that the 
Nagaland portion of our October trip to India had been canceled, due to horrendous monsoon damages to the roads. I was so disappointed, that was the major motivation to take the trip. So...



We have decided to go to Portugal in October...I spent a month ("April in Portugal") there in 1964...loved it and have been wanting to return ever since. We will take a river cruise on the Douro river and spend some time in Lisbon.

The hardest thing, for me, is erasing the travel wardrobe for India out of my
mind, to be replaced with Portugal! India is hot and humid, whereas Portugal's
climate is very similar to California.

Despite having (successful) cataract surgery recently, I was able to spend long and productive hours in my studio.




I made a top and pants from McCalls 6571  in a gray microfiber knit and rayon knit from Marcy Tilton. I last sewed this pattern in July 2012 for a trip to Sicily.

I also bought a RTW light jacket (for INDIA!) which I will wear this summer...




And just yesterday, I finished a kimono-style jacket, Simplicity 1318, in an
unusual and lovely "quilted" silk from Gorgeous Fabrics. I saw this on Ann's
site and had to give it a try.

I thought it might be light and airy, but it is more like a padded Chinese jacket and will be perfect for our cool nights.






I already have further plans for this pattern...it's easy to make and lovely to wear.

On the food front, I made a version of the popular "Pok Pok" chicken wings, made famous by the restaurant of the same name in Portland, Oregon.


They were fabulous! The recipe I used came from this blog where many of my
favorites came from. I will be in Portland and environs later this month.

I'm going back to Visible Women for a visit this afternoon...come over to Patti's
"Not Dead Yet Style" blog and see for yourself!

TTYL

29 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Lisbon when we were there Easter last year. I would highly recommend taking the train 40 mins from Rosso station out to Sintra. An amazing place with multiple palaces and its own microclimate. We stayed in an eco hotel in Sintra, but next time I would just get the train in from Lisbon as a daytripper. We also stayed in Lisbon central just off Rosso square and it was such a fabulous city to explore on public transport. I've also been to the Algarve and Madeira and have lots of happy memories. We're back in Madeira (Portuguese island) in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips on Portugal, Ruthie...I sure loved it many moons ago!

      Delete
  2. You are so talented...I envy your sewing abilities! Also, That big statement necklace is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam...some people think it looks like Christmas ornaments!

      Delete
  3. I feel your disappointment about India, but I'm glad you've twisted it into a positive by fulfilling your wish to go back to Portugal. I wonder what changes you'll notice most from 1964 and now, apart from the cell phones.
    And what a pain to rearrange your wardrobe. I love how you wear earth tones in such a dramatic way with your choice of cut and drape, and the addition of huuuge baubles as accents. Gorgeous.
    And of course now I'm hungry for Pok Pok chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments, Melanie...if you eat chicken, you ought to try that recipe!

      Delete
  4. Sorry that India was taken off the table, but I hope you have a fantastic trip in Portugal. I really like that swing top you made from the quilt-ish fabric. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have definitely made lemonade out of lemons! Portugal sounds amazing and I love your new clothes! That quilted kimono is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shams...I think I have to make another kimono jacket...

      Delete
  6. I am anxious yo hear about your Spain/Portugal river cruise. My husband and I have contemplated whether or not to go there for our next adventure or take the Berlin/
    Budapest river cruise. How exciting for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not yet been to Portugal, but it's on our short list. I've heard the food is fantastic. That "padded" jacket is amazing, reminiscent of argyle but more subtle and chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, une femme...I'll report on our trip.

      Delete
  8. I've been to India in October and it's hot, very hot and humid. We did have a wonderul trip, but it was hot. Portugal sounds wonderful We were there for our 25th wedding anniversary and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to returning to Portugal, Nancy...

      Delete
  9. So sorry you've had to change your trip. I know that can be disappointing. But, you look as beautiful as ever:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Margy,

    I'm new to you - we are exactly the same age and I also have been sewing for a very long time. I really enjoy reading your blogs - inspirational! I'm just about to get cataracts 'done'. Would you be able to advise re the best lenses to request? I am in Ontario, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Kamchick! I let my ophthalmologist pick my lenses so I cant help you...I just had one eye "done", the other can wait till I need it. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about your long-awaited trip, Margy. So disappointing! You will still love Portugal though. Two of our favorite thing to do in Lisbon are Ribadouro-a wonderful fish restaurant and, of course, the Gulbenkian Museum. Be sure to find the Lalique rooms! Oh, I love Portugal! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Gayle! I may hit you for more, as I know you're a foodie like me!

      Delete
  13. Wow, wonderful wardrobe and not black, white or red; Very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margy, your grey wardrobe is fantastic. So sorry you will miss part of your India trip but I am sure you will have fun wherever you go instead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got some great sewing skills, love the pieces you are featuring here. Bummer about your trip to India but Portugal sounds wonderful too!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that kimono jacket is fantastic and I enjoyed reading the article about you in the Vogue Pattern magazine that I just picked up the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait WHAT?!?!?! You're going to be in Portland??? I'M IN PORTLAND!! Would love to meet up with you if it works. ell-in-or Comcast.net Bummer about India - perhaps next year?

    ReplyDelete