About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, January 17, 2016

HI! AND 'BYE!

I've spent a lot of time in the studio since I last wrote...I had TWO "wadders"! Actually, only one was a wadder...a skirt that was a big fail. It went in the trash along with the pattern! The other one is more painful...a vest in a favorite fabric which suffered from sewer's error...I have put it in time out to see if I can come up with a way to save it.

The third try was a success...I have had this interesting fabric for a couple of months and have spent a lot of time coming up with a pattern to use it with.






It's my "Hol(e)y Vest"...The fabric is from Marcy Tilton...



Shams bought some, too, and blogged about it here. I decided to use a 
Cutting Line Design pattern, Artist in Motion. The fabric was difficult to sew, due to the big holes, but I was helped by Sham's post, Marcy's tips, above, and a review of the pattern by Terri K, wherein she added 6 inches to the length. After holding up the pattern to my body, I decided to do the same thing. 




It's a fun piece, and perfect to jazz up an all black outfit.

One of the most exciting things to happen lately was THIS:


After 20 years of sweltering in the summer, and freezing in the winter in my studio,  I now have heat AND AC! I wish I'd done it years ago. Oh, how luxurious!

We are off on Wednesday for 10 days in Costa Rica, to celebrate 40 years
of marriage...we are returning to the wonderful Bosque del Cabo where we took our children and grandchildren for my 70th birthday. Just the two of us...and how lucky we are to have found each other! I decided not to sew anything for the trip, as the ambiance is very casual. Having cleaned my closets a lot in the last year, I was short on linen, etc., so I bought some simple pants and tops

Of course, I have a few culinary triumphs to post about...still loving my Instant Pot!



This is Pork Carnitas, which provided two dinners, with leftovers to freeze for another night...served with warm tortillas, guacamole and salsa...yum!




This is Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken which we had last night and will have tonight, too as we watch Downton Abbey...

and last, but not least, an old favorite which I cooked on the stove/in the oven,



We're eating well!

We probably won't have internet in BdC, so I'll be back after our return!

I'm heading over to Visible Monday on Patti's blog...come visit the other Visibles, too! Thanks for hosting us, Patti. 

TTYL



34 comments:

  1. Have a FABULOUS trip, and happy anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! And have a wonderful trip, relaxing in the sun. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Margy! Enjoy your trip and enjoy that fancy new heat & A/C :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that vest is awesome! I never would have imagined you could buy fabric like that. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary. A trip to celebrate sounds perfect! Cute vest too. Tricky fabric but it looks great over the black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy celebrating in Costa Rica. Oh, and I have the holey fabric and been thinking about some little short 3rd layer type thing also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary and enjoy your trip to Costa Rica! I'm working on another of these unique layering vests, but my fabric isn't as fabulously holey as yours. You look great, and wear it well - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! Your vest is so much fun! Have a wonderful trip to Costa Rica, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful trip and anniversary. Forty years is worth celebrating!
    I love your top. It looks a very challenging fabric but you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is splendid - beautiful you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore Louise's patterns. They always have just the right sensibility for my wardrobe. Your match of Marcy's fabric to that is genius.
    Happy Anniversary and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your recipes and cooking adventures. I bought an Instant Pot last year and was so intimidated by it (and the recipe booklet was awful) I just put it away ( and I'm a fairly seasoned cook). Well, when I saw your last post about the shrimp and mushroom risotto, I knew I had to try it immediately. Thank You! I'm hooked and my husband (a risotto snob) was duly impressed. And of course, thank you for all your sewing makes (and even fails) as you are one of my inspirations and motivations in my daily world of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margy, Do you mind sharing the pattern number of your wadder skirt? I'd like to learn from that mistake in case I have it in my pattern stash... Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Origami Skirt, by Sewing Workshop. I should have been warned, as there are no reviews and no pictures.

      Delete
  15. "Wadders" That's a great term. I'm so happy that I'm not the only one that ends up chucking my sewing and knitting projects from time to time. In fact I have an enormous half-finished project box in my garage. Your vest is just great. You look beautiful. Well done. Have fun in Costa Rica. One of my favorite destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That fabric is all kinds of wonderful! It looks fantastic with that pattern and your black separates.
    Congratulations on 40 years of marriage - a trip to Costa Rica sounds like the perfect way to celebrate, plus you'll have the ease of knowing your way around after having been there before.
    I wish that if I bought an Instant Pot all of those yummy dishes would magically jump out of it. Haha. And hurrah for the heat and AC in your studio!!! Your family may not see you for days at a time now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your life sounds good- happy vest, anniversary, trip, heat and AC! Let us not mention fails and wadders! ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the vest. A great answer to a couple of "bad boy" fabrics in my stash, so I just oredered it! Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful time in Costa Rica. All That food you posted looks soo good, but I'm more in line with Shams diet at the moment, so can't be tempted! But thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary and I love your holy vest. I will remember the tip of adding length when I tackle this pattern (though I will need less than 6")

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Margy for your honest sharing of some sewing mishaps, appreciate you sharing.
    You always look lovely and your sewing top end, may we all be blessed with good sewing times, there have been many 'in thebin' experiences over my 42 years of sewing, love your blog, go girl!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, what an inspiration you are to me. Not only is your style sense and sewing terrific but you plan and execute the best food in your instant pot. Could you post what model you have with a photo. Is it a type of crock pot or pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's an InstaPot 6 in 1, Diane. Check it out on Amazon and read all that it does!

      Delete
  22. Yikes!! I'm pretty sure I have that pattern! What made it a wadder for you?

    Have fun in Costa Rica! I've heard wonderful reports from everyone who goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hung and looked strange and it was uncomfortable, sitting OR standing. Into the trash it went!

      Delete
  23. Have a great holiday and congratulations. I've sadly started the new year with a wadder too!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you please tell me if you have a favorite turtleneck sweater/blouse pattern you use? If not, do you have a good source to buy from? I have no luck finding them. Back in the day, I could always rely on Donna Karen, she's not doing them anymore. Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My search for the perfect turtleneck, sewn OR RTW, is an ever-evolving task. I've sewn a funnel neck from Burda (September 2010), StyleArc Debra's Zebra top. My next try will be one with a separate neck, as I wear mine "scrunched" and like a little extra height. My go-to RTW are from Coldwater Creek and have a little ruching on the neck seam..

      Delete
  25. Happy Anniversary and safe travels. Have to try the Lamb shanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I read your blog for sewing and fashion mainly, but your food is also awesome and inspiring! I'm going to probably get the Instant Pot. It sounds like a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love B5954. It looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete