About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

PLUGGING IN THE HOLES...

...in my travel wardrobe, that is. I decided NOT to take my new Claude Montana Jacket; this trip is a whirlwind and decidedly not fancy, and I need to take clothes that stand up to wind, rain and bus trips!

Once I made that decision, things began falling into place. Instead of my new jacket, I will take an Eileen Fisher reversible raincoat (black/gray) which I've had for a few years...


In my stash, I came across a gorgeous sweater knit in an abstract design which
came from Marcy Tilton a few years ago. I love the tunic I made from B5954
last spring, so I used that pattern again.

and the back



Oh, how I love this fabric! It's a fairly substantial sweater knit which will be welcome if we hit cold weather.

Here's a picture of the EF Coat over the top

DD and DSIL were up for the weekend, so not a lot of sewing went on. As a belated birthday present Maggie took me to a lovely spa in Santa Barbara, where I had an 80 minute massage...the fastest 80 minutes I've ever experienced! Afterwards, we went for a late lunch of mussels and a bottle of wine...it doesn't get much better than that!

Feeling like stretching my creative muscle, I took an ikat jacket by Yasuko Kurisake which has been hanging in my studio for a couple of years, whacked the sleeves off and remodeled it into a little vest which is just perfect for a bit
of contrast when I wear all black...




I also got a chance to use more of my giant hook and eye tape for a closure...

I think this will go in the suitcase...

I'm haunting the weather apps to prepare for what awaits us in Scandinavia...so I'm sure there will be a few more "hole pluggers"!

TTYL

20 comments:

  1. All of your pieces = just gorgeous. You are the style diva to perfection: always classic, elegant: your wardrobe so beautifully envisioned and made. You sure have gotten great fit down fantastically (I know you've worked at it and it shows = KUDOS!). I would bow if my knee wasn't muttering to me today .. LOL. Would love to know where you found the giant hook and eye tape; it's really neat. Hope your upcoming adventure is safe, fun and memorable. God bless ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! All of it is, but I especially love the "new" vest--ikat fabrics are so lovely aren't they? These pieces work together so wonderfully, and your bits of red thrown in provide the perfect accents. I can't wait to see the next "hole plugger"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mussels and wine sound like a perfect lunch to me! Your choices are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your style as I'm a fan of red, black and white, too. I'll look forward to hearing all about your trip - great travel wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these outfits, especially with the chunky necklace. I KNOW you have black pants...how about some grey ones for this Scandinavian trip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the tunic and the vest will meld into your wardrobe seamlessly, even if one doesn't go to Scandanavia. Love the hook and eye tape trim on the vest. I bought some of that from Vogue Fabrics but haven't used it yet. The regularity of the tape is an interesting juxtaposition against the more varied ikat. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margy, this will obviously be another stunning travel wardrobe! I look forward to your final post, showing all of it together. I especially love the new ikat vest. I'm so glad you repurposed it so it won't just hang in the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny how you can have a pattern that's been filled away for a while and suddenly you see it made up and then you have the 'aha' moment. B5954 has moved up on the roster considerably. Your tunic is lovely and I especially love the back view. Such wonderful pieces in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your pieces are gorgeous. You will be fashionably well-prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new top and re-purposed jacket-made-vest. Putting together a travel is a real art and you do it with such style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how the new top matches the EF raincoat. Very smart! Cute vest too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE that vest. And how you mix things up. In awe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That hook and eye tape really elevates the garment. Nice touch!!! Love the tunic fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, that's so much for sharing your refashioning idea! I have a few Yasuko Kurisake items, but they are tough for me to wear, I think I'll get brave and try some remodeling on them. Love your outfit, and always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on graduating from the boot! They are both wonderful--because you can walk without crutches--and terrible.

    That large hook-and-eye tape is so fabulous. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an elegantly fabulous travel wardrobe. But then, from you, we expect no less, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm SO impressed by your sewing skills and your good eye for fabric. The abstract sweater knit is very elegant and looks blissfully comfortable and just right under the EF coat. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful travel pieces. I'm hanging on your every word, as I'm about to do some traveling myself. I'm taking notes from the expert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the outfit. In fact I have some ikat fabric that might just work for a similar vest. Where did you get the giant hook and eye tape?

    ReplyDelete